Photography by: Emily Solberg Photography
I’ve been thinking a lot about my comfort zone lately–and not just as it relates to loungewear (although you can rest assured that deep down I’m always thinking about loungewear). Starting a blog has totally pushed me out of my comfort zone and has my mind constantly spinning about the chances people have to take in order to grow.
When I decided to start the blog, my head was filled with thoughts–many of which were not as happy as the above loungewear implies. I didn’t want to tell anyone I knew that I was considering starting a blog because I was afraid of what they would think. What if people thought I was weird? What business did I have writing a fashion blog? What if I decided it wasn’t for me after all?
I’d love to say that I don’t worry about those things anymore and offer you three magic tips on how to overcome anxiety.
Well. Ahem. I have a confession. I still have moments where I feel insecure and wonder those things. However, the more time I’ve spent reflecting (one of those things you learn all about as an education major), the more I’ve realized how many different possibilities are out there in the world and how many people must have felt this way when they started out. I think of people that I know who have started their own business, gone back to school, changed professions, or moved to an entirely different country. I have a newfound admiration for them. They took big chances. What did I really have to lose by starting a blog? Not much, in the scheme of things. So what if someone thinks I’m weird? I am weird. Not sure what I was trying to hide there. I don’t know everything about fashion or trends. I don’t have a degree in the fashion field. I’m not an expert, but it’s something that I enjoy. I know very little about technology and spend most of my time “working on the blog” googling questions I’d be too embarrassed to ask my tech-savvy friends. I certainly don’t have a degree in PR or marketing–also related fields as I have come to find out.
The thing is, if I hadn’t taken a chance, I would have missed an opportunity. I’m not talking about a career change or a financial opportunity. I’m talking about the opportunity to do something I love and to discover something I had forgotten I was passionate about. My favorite thing about blogging is the writing, which surprised even myself. I thought I wanted to blog because I liked clothes. I do like clothes, but what has brought me the most satisfaction hasn’t been putting together a camera-friendly outfit (that has actually been a little stressful), it has been having a creative outlet to write again. I am so grateful to each of you for following along on this journey and for the encouragement many of you have given me. Nothing makes me happier than to run into someone I know and for them to say they’ve been enjoying the blog. I hope I can make you laugh, inspire you to put together an outfit you feel confident and beautiful in, but also inspire you to take chances and continue to grow.
I’m going to cut myself off there–I’ve ventured far enough down the “cheesy life advice” road and this is a fashion blog, after all. Since my exact set is sold out (the worst, I know) I have linked some of my favorite loungewear pieces below! Hope you find the perfect outfit to sit at home on your couch and watch Christmas movies in. Tis the season!
- Cozy Cabin Socks: These are the softest socks in existence. My mother-in-law gives them to me as stocking stuffers every year. They are so soft and warm! They’re perfect for lounging around the house but also look cute peeking out of your boots.
- Hooded Chevron Robe: My favorite part of mornings is putting on a snuggly robe. It makes the transition from getting out of bed to getting ready for work just a little bit easier. I love this color (oatmeal) and how adorable is the hood?!
- Wicked Good Moccasins: Warm and comfy slippers that are also practical enough to wear outside in the yard when I inevitably end up chasing my dogs back inside. I’ve had these for years and they’ve held up so well! Definitely worth the splurge.
- Boho Bralette: Such a pretty and feminine bralette! Comfy under loungewear but it’s also great to wear with tops that are cut low on the sides or have cut outs in the back.
- Lips and Lashes Graphic Tee: This tee is similar to the one that I’m wearing above which is sold out.
- Zella Live In Leggings: I fell in love with these when I purchased them over the summer from the annual N-Sale. If I could wear these all day, every day, I would. They are thick, stretchy, the fabric doesn’t pill like crazy, and they’re at a more reasonable price point than some of the other popular legging brands. I genuinely want them in every color and pattern.
- Z Supply Camo Tee: I was a little late to jump on the Z Supply bandwagon and I’m pretty sad I missed out for so long. This is the only article of “camo” clothing I own but it’s wonderfully soft and makes a great layering piece (it’s a little more low cut than I’d typically wear alone).
- H&M Pajama Set (top and leggings): This is the same set I’m wearing, just a different pattern. I love that it’s just slightly oversized, it’s a great price point (on sale for under $20 for the set!), and, of course…it’s comfy.
What are your go-to comfy pieces? I’m always in need of more loungewear!